Skip to main content
HOME   |   ABOUT   |   NEWS   |   TECH ARTICLES   |   AT THE TRACK   |   REVIEWS   |   VIDEOS   |   CONTACT ME

My 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Progress




My car is mostly stock but I thought I'd make a post about my progress with the few things I've done and their purpose.

- TracKey (purpose: performance): This is pretty obvious. I have read plenty of articles about the development of the track key with numbers ranging from 200 to 400 parameters in the PCM being changed, including throttle response, torque management, intake and exhaust variable cam timing, ignition timing, among others. It also automatically sets the steering weight to heavy (adjustable with the regular key) and relaxes stability control safety nets. I feel like ABS is also less intrusive/aggressive but have never read about that so could just be in my head. The intent was to tune the engine to run like the Boss 302S race car, dialed back only for street durability requirements and emissions.

- Ford Racing Torsen Diff - OEM spec (purpose: performance): I bought my car used (with 231 miles, mind you). It's a long story but the point is, I didn't order it or even search for my favourite at different dealers. It was a great deal since it was previously registered but unfortunately did not have the optional Torsen limited slip differential and came with the standard clutch-type limited slip differential. The difference after the switch in traction and ability to put power down made me a massive believer in Torsen differentials.

- Tires - F: 275/35/18 & R: 285/35/18 Michelin PSS (purpose: PSS have much better grip than the stock PZeros and wider front section for longevity). I have been going up in section size from stock (255) in the front to improve the car's balance and help with tire wear. I am going to 285 next for a square setup, to hopefully improve wear and allow rotating. I went with Pilot Super Sports since they seem to be the best street oriented performance tire available now - in terms of noise, comfort, longevity, and dry and wet grip. With that said, I am considering trying Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs when it's time to for new tires.

- Wheels - 18"x9.5" TSW Nurburgring's (purpose: save weight and better 18" tire selection): I went with 18" to drop the weight a little and TSW Nurburgring since they seem to have a good reputation for track performance and are the only ones in the price range that were good quality and forged (rotary forged) wheels as opposed to cast. The fact that they are relatively light for the size - about 22 lb a pop - combined with the claim of being stronger than cast was the selling point.

- Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates (purpose: performance and longevity): This is obvious, to introduce some camber. I am running -2.3 degrees. This was to reduce tire roll over rather than increase performance, improving tread wear and eliminating a squirm I got in turn 7 (the fastest turn on the track) after turn in as the car rolls onto the tire shoulder and back.

- UMI Lower Control Arms - Roto Joint (purpose: performance): This was to eliminate wheel hop under heavy throttle, especially on rough roads as well as better traction out of turns. For a quick review and how-to install, check my initial post.

- JLT Catch Can (purpose: longevity): I got this to reduce oil being mixed in with the air fuel mixture in the intake as much as possible. For a review, please click on JLT Oil Catch Can Review.

- Saleen S281 Front Grille (purpose: longevity): I did that to improve air flow under hood and reduce heat build up. I've never had an issue with the stock grille but the 2013's come with removable fog lamp blocking plates and the 302S has a wire mesh in its place so I figured it's a good idea. For a comparison, read my Saleen S281 Grille vs Stock post, including temperature readings.

- Brake Pads - downgrade (purpose: longevity and streetability): This is a bit of an odd one, but I switched to street pads that are a downgrade in outright stopping power and feel from the stock brembo pads after they wore down. The two reason being are a) this is by no means a track car, spending most of the time on the street, so braking performance and bite at street temperatures is more important - and improved - plus there is reduced dust and noise, and b) I can't afford brake cooling ducts yet and a new front fascia to avoid drilling out fog light inserts. I'm worried that, without brake cooling, I might boil my (DOT4) fluid since track pads mean more braking power and more heat generation. Once I get the brake cooling ducts and install them, I will probably run HAWK HP+ pads, at least on the track, and switch back to street pads at the end of the day.

- Fays2 Watt's Link (purpose: stability): I got this due to very good reviews to people who switched from a pan hard bar setup to a Watt's link. The problem with a pan hard bar is that it attaches to the chassis at one point and the axle at one point (and runs parallel to the axle). Its purpose is to locate the axle laterally as it moves up and down but since it attaches only at one point on the chassis and another on the axle, it draws a very wide radius slight arc as the axle goes up and down. Steeda (I believe) did a test once, measuring the deflection left to right and it was very small, measured in hundredth of an inch. Most people probably won't notice but the Watt's link improves ride quality over bumps immensely, especially at speed, making the car feel a lot more secure. With that said, most people credit little to no improvement in performance due to switching from a PH bar to a Watt's link, which is probably true but the confidence to push the car could result in going quicker.

- Open side-exit pipes (purpose: noise): As many people know, the Boss 302 came with a neat quad exhaust system - two pipes exit out the back and two exist at the sides just in front of the rear wheels. From the factory, Ford installed baffling plates, which are basically blocking plates with small (perhaps 1/8") holes to quiet the car. Remove them, and the car sounds even more phenomenal.

- Ford Racing Boss 302R Steering Rack (purpose: steering feel and future proofing bushing upgrades): I got this during a time when I thought I had a steering rack problem. On the plus side, the 302R rack has less filtering for better feedback and prevents the steering shake that is common with stiffer front control arm bushings.

- Heartthrob Flowpack Axle Backs (purpose: mostly noise and a little drop in weight): I did this for sound and weight, as they are 20 lbs lighter than stock. Here's a link to my initial post for a review and another link for a comparison video vs stock.

- GT500 Spoiler (purpose: looks): This was purely for looks, although it does have a gurney flap that can be replaced with more aggressive flaps to give some downforce but the one I have is an OEM GT500 spoiler with the SVT package. It isn't flat but I suspect that, at best, it might reduce lift a little but nothing more. 


Comments

  1. Very informative. Looking forward to see the car!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment







Does An Aftermarket Grille Really Increase Airflow?
I put a Saleen S281 grille to the test to answer that question.

Stock Suspension S197 Mustang With Square 305/30/19's
What you need to fit a proper size square tire setup.

How Limited Slip Diffs Make You Faster on Track
What you need to know about how they put power down and pros and cons.

Can Telemetry Explain Schumacher's Talent?
A comparison between Schumacher's and then team mate Herbert's data.






Cayman GT4 Track Review
The first Cayman with proper (911-challenging) power.

Is an EcoBoost Mustang any good on Track?
Two days at the track in a Mustang short 4 cylinders.

2016 BMW M4 DCT Track Review
It's quick (properly quick). But is it fun?

Can a stock Golf Diesel handle a Track Day?
Not your every day track beater.




🔥 Most Visited This Week

Falken Azenis RT615k+ Street and Track Review

Last year, I picked up a 2009 Lancer Ralliart to do a long term test with it as a dual duty track/daily. One of the first things I knew I was going to do was put a decent set of tires on it. The car came without OEM wheels which was actually good because I didn't have to hesitate about getting a good set of aftermarket wheels to support going wider. Thankfully, my friends at YST Auto Halifax  set me up with a great set of Superspeed RF03RR wheels. The Wheels I had never even heard of Superspeed but I trusted the good folk at YST Auto who mentioned some customer cars running on track with them. These wheels are rotary forged which is basically a prerequisite to be taken seriously in this market populated by companies like TSW and Fast Wheels. The wheels looked like a high quality, well finished wheel and each had a "QC" check sticker on. Just for appearances? Maybe, but I found no defects. The wheels seemed easy to balance (didn't need many weights) and at 18.1 lb. f

Michelin Pilot Super Sports vs Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - Street Review

I've been a huge fan of Michelin PSS tires and exclusively bought them for the Mustang over the last four years. So how did I end up here? This year, I was hugely interested in trying an "R-comp" tire. I had my eyes set on Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's for two simple reasons: price and reputation. Although not a true "R-comp" tire on paper, it performs like one by the account of every single test and review I've read (down to wear rates...). They seem like they're easily the most affordable (from a big brand) R-comp tire and combine that with a reputation for having tons of grip, it was an easy top contender. I had my concerns, though. For one, I'm told and have read that they are an autox tire, not really designed for high speed, pressure, and temps associated with open track. For another, the Mustang is a heavy car (as far as track cars are concerned) being roughly 3,800 lb. (including driver), which will amplify the unwanted open track load

GTR vs Evo X vs STI: which has the best AWD system?

A few weeks ago, I made a post explaining  mainstream AWD system types and how they compare , pros and cons, etc. including some simple diagrams to show where the power goes and how much. As promised, this post will focus on specific cars and what AWD systems they use, especially ones that that have more or less been defined by their AWD systems, and the best place to start may be with a bombshell; the Nissan GT-R. Nissan GT-R (R35) The GT-R has built a reputation around having monster traction and very approachable performance, thanks to its AWD system - Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All-Terrain (ATTESA) - and what it can do for you. But the GT-R doesn't actually use the most mechanically sophisticated type of AWD systems discussed in the previous article, namely a "true" AWD with a centre differential. Instead, it uses a clutch pack to transfer power. RWD-based clutch-type AWD schematic - Rams Eye The Track Guy © The R32, R33, and R34 Sky

All Mainstream AWD and 4WD Systems Compared and Explained

Mitsubishi Evo X GSR at Atlantic Motorsport Park - Kevin Doubleday  © If you live in Canada or the US, you'll find that plenty of people hold sacred the terms '4x4' and '4WD' to describe a 'true 4x4', where you have a butch transfer case with a low speed, perhaps a body on frame chassis, and ideally a solid axle or two. I'm not sure how that translates to the rest of the world. My extensive research into the motoring industry in Europe (which exclusively consists of watching Top Gear and The Grand Tour...) concluded that most people across the pond simply refer to any vehicle that is capable of sending any power to all four wheels as a 4WD vehicle, further muddying the waters. Where I grew up, 4x4 was more or less synonymous with 'Jeep' so that's not much help either. However, despite all various systems attempting to do the same sort of thing - distribute power between all four wheels instead of two - not all systems are created equal,